Thursday, July 9, 2009

If I Stay Review

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Released on April 9, 2009
Summary from Goodreads:
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeenyear- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck... A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

My review:
OMG, If I Stay is probably one of the best books I've ever read. I love the descriptive narrative and the overwhelming emotions that are evoked. Though I never cried throughout the entire novel, I still felt chills running along my back.

If I Stay was so intense that it only took me about two hours to read - I was that addicted.
I loved reading about Mia. She's so thought provoking and there were times when you felt as if you were right there with her. You understood her need and her tiredness on surviving.

I also loved how the book seemed to be written in a mix of flashbacks and the present. It was if she was relieving her memories and it was just so good. You really got her relationship with her family, her friends and her boyfriend. And though there were arguments and quarrels, you could tell that their relationships were very strong.

I loved how Adam, Kim and Willow all tried their best in their own way to care for Mia. They knew what she wanted and was just there for moral and physical support. I loved the way they supported her and loved that Operation Distraction that they had. It was one of those funny in a sad moment kind of thing.

I loved the writing style and how it just seemed to have this lyrical tone in it. It flowed and weaved seamlessly through the pages.

The only real problem I had with If I Stay was the ending because it was a semi-cliffhanger and I really want to know exactly what happens with Mia and her family. I mean, I know what choice she chose but I want to read the aftermath, really really badly.

Overall, If I Stay is a gripping, moving and compelling novel. I highly, highly recommend this novel.

My rating:
Plot: 9/10
Theme: 9/10
Characters: 10/10
Cover: 9/10
Recommendation: 10/10
Total: 47/50 = 94%

Juiciliciousss Reviews <3

3 comments:

MeganDreamer said...

I loved Mia's grandfather in this book. I like how he told her that it was okay if she didn't want to stay. It was really touching for me.

beth said...

Oh, I liked Mia's grandfather, too!

And personally, I liked the ending. I liked how she went from something definite (death) to something that had a million different possibilities--who knows what life will hold for her? She chose the unknown--it was so courageous.

Lucy T. said...

are you kidding? UGH. the only thing I didn't hate about this book was the cover. NONE of the characters seemed realistic. If it were a movie it would be an ABC TV movie.THATS HOW BAD I FOUND IT.
Seriously at one point when she was talking about her parents and about jazz and bow ties i was like "REALLY? BOW TIES?".
I do like the cover though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Juiciliciousss Reviews © 2008 Por *Templates para Você*